U17 Cup

U17 Cup

Creggs RFC 17 Galwegians 21

Creggs U17’s lost out to Galwegians RFC in the U17 cup last Sunday morning in a tight and exciting Cup encounter. This was the third meeting between the teams over the last four weeks and all the other games were very tight and this game proved no different.

Creggs were short a few regulars for different reasons and this game proved one game too much for the depleted squad having beaten the same opposition to get to the Connacht league final a couple of weeks ago.

Creggs began the first half very well and will have been disappointed that the score was 0-0 at half time as they were denied twice in the first 10 minutes of scoring tries when knocking on going over the line and also failed to take advantage of a 3 on 1 overlap after 20 minutes when a score looked likely. Galwegians found it very hard to clear their own lines in the first half and up front Melvin Conteh, Rian Biesty, Adam Finnerty and Daire Byrne were having very good games in the tight and David O Gorman was winning good ball at line out time. Eoghan Coyle was marshalling the troops well from 9 and Shane Purcell kept Galwegians pinned back with some good kicks also.

The second half Creggs bagan on the attack but were harshly penalised 5 metres from the opposition line after 5 minutes and the next 10 minutes proved costly for Creggs with Galwegians scoring two quick tries when they broke out of their half on two occasions to score under the posts to take a 14-0 lead.

Creggs continued to attack and got their reward after 14 minutes reducing the deficit after a try from Danny Arnold which was converted by Shane Purcell. Almost straight from the kick off Galwegians scored after a kick ahead was chased and the ball bounced kindly for the chasing player to gather and run in under the posts to stretch the lead to 21-7. Creggs never let their heads go down and continued to attack and reduced the deficit again when Niall Cunniffe scored in the corner after good work from Aaron Glennon, Brian Maloney and Jason Hoare leaving the score 21-12 going into the last 10 minutes.

Creggs got the last score of the game when Shane Purcell took advantage of a flat Galwegians defensive line to Chip over the defenders and catch the ball to score in the corner leaving the final score 21-17.

This was a hard defeat for the U17’s as defending champions in the Cup and they still have a Connacht League final to look forward to over the coming weeks.

Creggs: Nathan Feeney, Juan De La Campa, John Martin, Jason Hoare, Shane Purcell, Brandon Hanmore, Aaron Glennon, Mathew Curley, Michael Kelly, Niall Cunniffe, Eoghan Coyle, Ian Conlon, Danny Arnold, Melvin Conteh, Brian Maloney, David O Gorman, Rian Biesty, Daire Byrne, Adam Finnerty.

Creggs u17

U17 Cup
Scroll to top